Side hustles are a key staple in any millennial financial journey. A side hustle can be the buffer between your income and your next emergency or it can lead you straight to your dream job. You just never know unless you dib and dab into different types of side hustles.
Whether you end up liking or hating your side hustle, it would have at least served its main purpose; earning extra cash.
Learn more about starting your own side hustle below.
Last week, during our Find Your Coins in 7 Days Challenge, I asked you guys to sell something for profit in order to acquire more money within your budgets. Not surprised to see that most people panicked or skipped out completely on that day. For some this might have been a challenge for several reasons. Maybe you have never stopped to think that you actually do have a talent or skill that can potentially make you extra money or you just could not think outside the box quick enough to complete the task. That is perfectly fine, I am here to help you get started.
In this blog post I will not only give you ideas for a side hustle, but I will also highlight the benefits of having a side hustle in this day & age.
What is a Side Hustle?
A side hustle is anything that provides extra money aside from your main source of income. It can be anything from delivering pizzas on the weekend to picking up a passenger on your way home from work through Uber. If it’s making you some extra cash, it’s considered a side hustle.
Ideas for a Side Hustle
There are some side hustles you can do right in the comfort of your home and some of them may require more time spent than others but, what I love most about side hustles is how flexible they can be on your schedule. You are pretty much your own boss and can generally make up your own hours of operation.
Here are a few ideas for starting your side hustle today. Read Disclosure Policy here.
- Selling used textbooks on Amazon. I swear I did this throughout my entire college career. I not only helped other struggling students purchase their books but they were also helping me make a few extra dollars as well. Win- Win situation!
- Baking goods for friends/family. Do you enjoy baking cakes or special dishes? Bake a few dishes during the weekend and sell them locally for a few extra dollars.
- Renting a room in your home through sites, such as Airbnb. Have a spare room and can use the extra cash? Consider renting it to someone on vacation through sites like Airbnb or Homeaway.
If your enjoying this list, please take a moment and like, comment or share this post.
- Driving for Uber or Lyft. Pick up a part time job with Uber or Lyft and drive for a few extra hours within your day. Uber drivers can make about $15 an hour not including tips. This is an easy side gig that doesn’t require too much of your time. Get started today.
- Crocheting. Do you know how to crochet? Maybe you can crochet baby blankets, hats, gloves and/or clothing and sell them for extra money upon request.
- Use a website like Fiverr to freelance your skills for pay. Do you consider yourself an expert in a particular area? Promote your skills on Fiverr and develop your clientele at the same time.
- Photography. Do you love the art of photography? Take artistic pictures and consider selling them online or you can sell your services by becoming a special event’s photographer. Create your photo packages and start a small side business doing something you love.
- Start a blog Feel you have some valuable information to share with others? Start a blog with Bluehost for just $2.75 a month.
**There are so many side hustles to choose from these are just a handful of my favorites.
What are the benefits of having a Side Hustle?
Having a side hustle can:
♥ Help pay off consumer debt or student loans. With a side hustle you can spend 1/2 the average time it takes to usually pay off debt.
♥ Help jump start your investing portfolio. There is no excuse not to invest a small portion of your newly acquainted income. You can start by micro investing as little as $5 using mobile friendly apps such as Acorns or Digits.
♥ Boost your retirement savings. As your income increases, also pay yourself first by increasing your retirement contribution by at least 1% yearly.
♥ Turn your part time hobby into a full time career. Who knew you can do what you love everyday and get paid for it? Your side gig can potentially become your main source of income and eventually your business. All it takes is some blood, sweat, tears and determination.
♥ Help start or complete an emergency fund. A full emergency fund consist of 3-6 months worth expenses in a savings account/money market account. With a side hustle, your emergency fund can be completed in no time.
♥ Save money for a vacation. You can finally take that care free vacation you have wanted to take with your side hustle cash.
♥ Help you stop living the paycheck to paycheck cycle. Having a second or third source of income can help stop the paycheck to paycheck cycle. You can stay ahead of the bills and never have to worry about being behind ever again.
I hope that this post has provided you with an idea for starting your own hustle for extra money. All it takes is a some talent, a creative mind, and the drive(desire) to get you started.
Do you know any other side hustles that can help the My Dollar Has Cents community? Please feel free to share them below.
Please Like, Comment and Share with friends.